Hexpert, the maker of the Zlog 7 flight computer has added a balloon cutdown / high voltage switch board to it’s offering to the HAB community.
This nylon cord cutter module takes a logic level voltage input and uses it to switch a high current circuit. It was designed to switch a small 4-cell AA or NiCd battery pack to heat up a nichrome wire that would cut through a nylon or polyester cord to separate a payload from a weather balloon.
The key features of the module are:-
- Switch up to 25 volts, and 10 amps.
- Control voltage input ranges from 3.3 to 20 volts.
- Screw terminals for high current source (battery pack) and nichrome wire (or other load).
- Control input designed to mate with ZLog-7 port J11 (requires firmware 1.4 running on ZLog-7 for altitude triggered control).
- 1.35″ x 0.8″ x 0.5″ (34 mm x 20 mm x 12 mm).
- 4 grams.
- Includes 1 meter nichrome wire. Recommended nichrome loop length of 2.3″ (6 cm) works well with 4-cell NiCd pack.
For more information go to http://www.hexpertsystems.com/FETsw/